Are you planning a festive city break to Copenhagen and wondering if Tivoli Gardens at Christmas is worth a visit? The answer is a resounding YES!
I spent three days in Copenhagen at Christmas, and visiting the Tivoli Gardens was the main highlight. In this post, I share with you what to expect in one of Europe’s most enchanting Christmas destinations.
So get ready to dive into a magical winter wonderland that will fill your heart with festive cheer.
A Nordic Christmas Fantasy: Tivoli Gardens Unveiled
Tivoli Gardens, the world-famous amusement park in Copenhagen’s heart, transforms into a Nordic Christmas dreamland as the festive season approaches.
Opening its gates in mid-November and keeping the holiday spirit alive until the 31st of December, Tivoli offers a truly unique Christmas experience.
What you can expect to find in this enchanting winter wonderland:
1. The Illuminations: Tivoli’s lights come to life as the sun sets early in the Danish winter. Thousands of lights twinkle merrily, illuminating the park in a kaleidoscope of colours. Stroll through the garden paths, and you’ll feel like you’ve entered a fairy tale.
2. Christmas Market: Tivoli boasts one of Europe’s most picturesque markets. Over 60 stalls sell gifts, ornaments, sweets, and more. It’s the perfect place to find unique presents and immerse yourself in local Danish holiday traditions.
3. Rides and Attractions: Take a leisurely whirl on the carousel or hop on the swings for nostalgic Christmas fun. For thrill-seekers, the park’s more daring rides are waiting for you.
4. Entertainment: Tivoli stages various live performances during the Christmas season, from ballet and live music to traditional Danish folk shows. These enchanting displays will leave you utterly captivated.
5. Food and Drink: Warm up with a cup of mulled wine (gløgg) and indulge in Danish Christmas treats such as æbleskiver (round, fluffy pancakes) and klejner (deep-fried pastries known as angel wings). And don’t forget to sample the delectable roast pork with red cabbage, a Danish Christmas staple.
6. Ice Skating: Get your ice skates on and glide around Tivoli Lake, where a shimmering ice rink is the centrepiece. It’s perfect for skaters of all levels, whether you’re pirouetting like a pro or clinging to the rinkside for dear life.
The best times to visit:
Choosing the right time to visit is essential to make the most of your Tivoli Gardens Christmas experience. Here are a few tips:
1. Early November: If you prefer a quieter, more relaxed visit, consider going in early November. The Christmas decorations are up, but the crowds are manageable.
2. Weekdays: If you can swing it, plan your visit for a weekday. Tivoli Gardens can get quite crowded on weekends, so this is your chance to enjoy a more intimate experience.
3. Evening: The gardens come alive with enchantment as soon as the sun sets. It’s the best time to witness the park’s mesmerizing light displays and enjoy the magical old-world Christmas atmosphere.
Tivoli opens from 11 am to 11 pm Sunday – Thursday and 11 am – Midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.
Address: Vesterbrogade 3, 1630 København V.
Copenhagen Central Train Station is a 2-minute walk away.
How much does it cost to enter?
The cost of admission to Tivoli Gardens varies depending on when you visit. Here’s a rough estimate to help you plan your budget:
1. Standard Admission: The adult entrance fee is around 155 DKK (Danish Krone). However, prices may increase during the Christmas season.
2. Children: Children under three typically enter for free, and those between 3 and 7 may receive discounted admission. Check the official Tivoli Gardens website for the most up-to-date pricing information.
3. Unlimited Ride Tickets: If you want to enjoy all the available rides, consider purchasing an unlimited ride ticket. Prices vary but usually range from 440 DKK. These tickets cover all the open rides, making them a fantastic deal if you plan to have some amusement park fun.
Purchasing your entry tickets before arriving is best to avoid long queues.
Book Your Tivoli Garden Tickets Here:
How long do you need at Tivoli?
If you want to ride the amusements, have something to eat, wander around the Christmas market and watch a show, give yourself at least 4 hours.
If you want to wander around Tivoli without going on the rides or seeing a show, you will need around 2 hours.
Practical tips for visiting the Tivoli Gardens in winter:
Now that you’re ready to embark on your magical journey to Tivoli Gardens, here are some helpful tips to ensure a smooth and memorable experience:
1. Dress Warmly: Copenhagen’s winters can be chilly, so bundle up in layers and remember a cosy scarf and gloves.
2. Arrive Early: Beat the crowds by arriving early in the day. This way, you can enjoy the park’s holiday ambience in relative peace.
3. Stay Late: Plan to stay into the evening to witness the full splendour of Tivoli’s lights. It’s when the park truly comes to life.
4. Check the Schedule: Keep an eye on the official Tivoli Gardens website for up-to-date information on opening hours, special events, and admission fees.
5. Embrace the Danish Hygge: Danish people have perfected the art of hygge (cosiness). Enjoy the warmth and comfort of Tivoli by participating in the Christmas festivities and indulging in seasonal treats.
6. Buy Souvenirs: Remember to grab some unique Danish Christmas ornaments or souvenirs at the market to remember your visit. I bought a beautiful hand-blown Christmas bauble which takes pride of place on my Christmas tree.
Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen is a fairy tale that comes to life during the festive season. It’s a place where young and old can celebrate the holiday spirit in a truly enchanting setting.
So, bundle up and let the magic of Tivoli warm your heart and soul during the most wonderful time of the year. Skål! (Cheers in Danish).
Copenhagen is the perfect destination for a city break in Europe. If you want to find other places to visit, please check out my post: 18 Best European City Breaks From The UK (2023/24)